Pressbooks is online software that enables OER authors to design any kind of book and provide formats for the book’s use.
Why use instead of other tools
The advantages of Pressbooks include:
- Library support and assistance to the University of Arkansas users of Pressbooks ( we are unable at this time to support creation in other tools)
- A simple, familiar interface
- Professionally-designed book files, without complex software
- Unlimited ability to edit, update, and (re)export books
- Ability to collaborate with other authors and editors
- Daily backups
- A variety of book formats
- Affordable access
- Control over your own content – authors can use the visual editing tool for their text or get more variation through html coding.
Formats that are available
More than one format can be used for a book and books may be created at any time during creation or post creation. (Ex. Some writers have created pdf files for editing on paper).
Formats that are available in Pressbooks include:
- PDF: for print or print on demand
- EPUB: for Apple iBooks, Nook, Kobo and most other ebook platforms
- MOBI: for Kindle
- Webbook: private or public
All book formats are produced using templates that are optimized to look great in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. This includes Kindles, phones, and iPads for e-books, as well as the printed page.
PDF, EPUB, and MOBI files can be exported and downloaded from Pressbooks to your device, then uploaded to an additional distribution service. Remember not all formats support interactive content. Books created in Pressbooks are also included in ScholarWorks as a static pdf.
are website versions of your book that are hosted on the University of Arkansas Pressbooks platform and can be distributed for free to the public. Unlike PDFs and e-books, webbooks are a live version of your book that doesn’t need to be exported or downloaded.
Pressbooks produces a web version of every book. You can view yours at any time by clicking the Visit Book link underneath the title of your book in the top menu. However, your Pressbooks webbook is Private until you change the Global Privacy Setting to PublicFor more information on how to control the privacy of your webbook, visit the Privacy Settings chapter.
a publishing platform for educators to create, adapt, and share accessible, interactive, web-first books
a book that lives on the web and may be read with no other assistive reading software