A. UPPER PART OF MACHINE
Machine Table – The table holds the machine head and allows for garment space while sewing.
- Machine Head -The machine head controls the upper thread, thread tension, stitch length control, backstitch lever and needle housing.
- Thread Stand – The thread stand holds the cones of thread for the upper threading of the machine head.
4. Hand Wheel – The hand wheel allows you to control the movement of the needle manually.
5. Backstitch Lever – The backstitch lever controls the directions of the stitching by allowing the machine to stitch backwards to secure the stitching line.
6. Stitch Length Dial – The stitch length dial controls the length of stitches. Average stitch length for seams is 2.5-3.
7. Tension Dial – The tension dial controls the amount of tension placed on the upper thread. There should be no need to change the tension dial once set for standard fabrics.
8. Throat Plate – The throat plate covers the lower bobbin housing and allows the feed dog (serrated feet) to move the fabric forward while stitching. It also has seam allowance markings.
9. Bobbin Plate Cover – The bobbin plate cover hides the bobbin case mechanism that holds the lower thread. It slides to the left to open and see into the bobbin case housing.
10. Bobbin Winding Mechanism – The bobbin winding mechanism is located on the right side of the machine. It is used to wind the bobbin with the lower thread for stitching.
11. Presser Foot and Needle Shank – The presser foot holds the fabric is place while stitching. It lifts and lowers with a lever on the back of the machine head or by the knee lifter under the machine table. The needle shank holds the needle in place while stitching.
12. Table Light – The table light is located toward the back of the table and is adjustable on a flexible arm. The power switch is located on the top of the light and if left on will turn on and off with the machine power button.
B. LOWER PART OF MACHINE
1. Power Switch – The power switch is located just under the table on the right side of the machine table.
2. Knee Lifter – The knee lifter controls the lifting and lowering of the presser foot.
3. Foot Peddle – The foot peddle controls the operating of the machine.
4. Motor Speed Dial – The motor speed dial is located on the motor housing and is adjustable from 0—3450. Average speed for class is 350.
1. Bobbin Case – The bobbin case holds the bobbin full of thread. Show here are both sides of the bobbin case.
2. Bobbin – The bobbin holds the lower thread and is inserted into the bobbin case to be placed in the lower part of the machine.
3. General Straight Stitch Presser Foot – This presser foot holds the fabric in place while stitching. The general presser foot is shown here.
4. Invisible Zipper Foot – The invisible zipper foot is grooved on the bottom for zipper teeth to glide through and provide a concealed zipper for polyester or nylon zippers.
5. Slim Zipper Foot – The slim zipper foot with a notch on the side is used to insert lapped, center and fly front zippers. This foot can also be used to get into tight corners and attaching piping.
6. Machine Needle – The machine needle for the lockstitch sewing machine has a shank, shaft and eye. Sizes vary upon fabric choice.
7. Drawer Contents – Each machine has an accessories drawer located under the edge on the left side of the machine table. Located in the drawer is a box with a bobbin case, invisible zipper foot and slim zipper foot. This box and its contents stay with the machine at all times. In addition, the drawer will have a screwdriver for changing out the presser feet and for changing the needle.